Professional Development Tracks - Combining Expertise with Your Passion
Patients and future employers want more than a physician with the minimum training in emergency medicine. The Emergency Medicine Residency at Ascension Genesys gives you the edge to meet those expectations and to prepare you for professional excellence. Our Professional Development Tracks allow you to explore a specialized area of emergency medicine that interests you. It is designed to allow you to develop a specific skill set longitudinally over 3 years. We offer 5 distinct areas of focus that are under the mentorship of faculty with expertise in that unique area. Our tracks include Emergency Medical Services, Health Care Administration, Medical Education, Research and Ultrasonography/Resuscitative Medicine. You are essentially choosing a specialized area and then tailoring your educational experience.
Our PGY1 residents will spend 2 months in each area throughout their first year to allow for an introduction into each track. At the start of the second year, if interested, the resident may declare a track. Each track has been tailored by faculty content experts to maximize the experience for the resident. Over the course of three years, the tracks may include: small group activities, PI projects, writing policies, workshops, committee work, specialized journal reviews, and rotations specific to the area of interest; amongst other educational activities.
An Overview of our Tracks
Emergency Medical Services
This track will allow the resident to develop skills geared toward the pre-hospital system. Residents will be assigned an EMS agency to work with directly. This activity will allow the resident to develop ownership of their role in addition to creating the strong relationships so important in the EMS model.
Additionally, content will include:
- Disaster Medicine
- Tactical Medicine
- Search and Rescue
- Administrative Aspects of EMS
- EMS Education
- Policy Development
- Medical Control Authority Experience (Genesee and Oakland County)
Health Care Administration
This educational opportunity will prepare the resident to succeed in a leadership position in a community or academic emergency department. The resident who is not interested in advancing to a leadership position but would like to have the same valuable skill set to succeed in the daily practice of emergency medicine would find this track valuable as well.
Some of the details of this track will include:
- Policy Development
- Quality Improvement
- Lean Project Management
- Professional and Leadership Development
- Leadership Principles
- Emergency Department Operations
- Risk Management
- Conflict Management
- Human Resources
- Legal and Regulatory Issues
The track will provide the resident an opportunity to establish proficiency in clinical teaching and create the skills necessary to become future leaders in education. This is the ideal track for preparing the resident to become faculty at a residency site, be active as a Clerkship Director or take on a medical education leadership role as an Assistant Program or Program Director of an Emergency Medicine program.
The track will include, but not be limited to:
- Development of the skills to critically appraise educational resources
- Exploration of educational innovations
- Opportunities for educational research projects
- Curriculum Development
- Implementation of programmatic changes through SWOT analysis
- Use of Simulation based teaching
- Flipped classroom design
- Effective feedback/evaluation in medical education
- Understanding ACGME standard requirements
- Effective use of ACGME Milestones
In this track, the resident learner will develop advanced knowledge to be prepared to enter a career as an academic research faculty. The resident will work closely with the Ascension Genesys research department and our Emergency Medicine Clinical Research Director. Residents will be paired and work with mentors on a project of their choosing. The importance of learning a balance between clinical and research responsibilities will be emphasized as part of this program.
This track will include:
- Fundamentals of Research Design
- Presentation Skill at Meetings and Conferences
- Learning Data Management
- Peer Review
- Funding Research Projects
- Proposal Writing
Ultrasound and Resuscitative Medicine
This is the perfect educational option for the resident who has a strong interest in a career focused on providing high-quality care for critically ill patients. Developing expertise in ultrasound skills will be a significant portion of the management of these critically ill patients. Additionally, it will prepare the resident who may have an interest in continuing their education in the Critical Care Fellowship at Ascension Genesys or another program.
As it relates to the critically ill patient, this track will include:
- Opportunities for Critical Care Research
- Educational and Clinical Development
- Development of an advanced knowledge in resuscitation
- Expertise in Ultrasound Skills equivalent to fellowship requirements
- Gaining an understanding of administrative aspects of an ultrasound program
- Preparation and delivery of ultrasound and critical care education programs