- What is the Genesys Emergency Department?
The Genesys ED is a Level II Trauma Center. It has 50 beds (plus a 7 bed physician triage area) that sees more than 67,000 patients per year with an admission rate of 30%.
- How are emergency department shift schedules organized?
All shifts are 9 hours in length. Residents have 18, 18, 17, and 17 shifts per block their first, second, third, and fourth years respectively.
- Do you sponsor visas for international students?
- How many EM residents do you accept per year?
We accept 6 residents per year.
- What are your application requirements? Required documents include ERAS application, USMLE/COMLEX scores, 2 letters of recommendation, transcripts, Dean's letter, and valid ECFMG certificate for IMGs. Go to our applying to the program section to find out more.
- Do you have specific USMLE/COMLEX score requirements?
USMLE or COMLEX I & II must be passed on first attempt. USMLE 1 must be passed with a minimum score of 225. COMLEX I must be passed with a minimum score of 500.
All medical school classes must also be passed on the first attempt.
- What is your interview start date and end date?
Our interview season typically runs from October to December/January of each academic year. Click Here for this years interview dates.
- Are residents allowed to moonlight?
Yes, as long as you are in good academic standing with the program.
- What other hospitals are affiliated with Genesys?
We are affiliated with Hurley Medical Center, Beaumont Hospital, and Detroit Medical Center. Check out our curriculum section to find out more.
- What is there to do in the area?
From skiing, to great restaurants, sporting events, museums, auto shows, there is always something to do in Michigan and the area all year long. Other things to do include an annual golf outing, house staff ski trip, nearby orchards, or anything in the Upper Peninsula, Mackinac Island, and Traverse City. Check out our stuff to do section for more info.
- What type of benefits can residents expect?
Benefits include medical insurance, life insurance policy, dental/optical insurance, professional liability insurance, lab coat allowance, on-call quarters, and a meal stipend. ER Residents are also provided with EMRA and ACEP memberships. Click Here to see the Genesys benefits per resident year.
- I am a medical student and would like to rotate in your department. What should I do?
Let us know and fill out the online form. You can get the link, contacts, and more information by going to our medical student section.
- I am a medical student, but unfortunately could not rotate with the program. What should I do?
We are always open to students shadowing in our department and we encourage it! Usually we will pair you with a core faculty member to give you the best feel of the academic environment of our department. Contact the student coordinator, chief residents, and/or assistant program director. The contact information can be found in our medical student section. You will need to have identification (ID, passport, etc), up to date immunization records, and to fill out the paperwork which will be forwarded to you upon requesting a shadowing shift.
- What are your Trauma statistics? Genesys Regional Medical Center is an American College of Surgery designated Level II Trauma Center.The Emergency Department has approximately 67,000 visits annually of which 16,000 are trauma related.
70% of trauma visits are Level III
24% of trauma visits are Level II
6% of trauma visits are Level I
The trauma activation levels utilize evidence based criteria attempting to identify the potentially most severely injured patients.
Monthly peer review meetings dissecting each of the activations and looking for areas of improvement.
5% of our patients have penetrating injury.
95% of our patients have blunt trauma.
Our trauma service has less complications, wound infection rates, ventilator days and ICU utilization compared to the benchmark set by Michigan trauma centers.
In-house radiology 24/7
- What if I have another question that has not been answered here?
If you have any additional questions, please feel free to Contact us and we will reply as soon as possible.